Kensington Car Show – A Brief History with Community Impact

The Kensington Car Show began in 2014 as a small, local gathering inspired by Mario Bruno’s passion for cars and commitment to the community. Thanks to overwhelming support, it quickly expanded from Town Hall to Howard Avenue and has grown into a staple event for families and car enthusiasts—while consistently giving back to meaningful causes.


Charitable Partners Over the Years

  • Noyes Children’s Library Foundation (2015, 2017, 2018, 2025)
    Dedicated to fostering early childhood literacy, Noyes provides a welcoming, engaging environment that inspires a love of reading among young children. Funds have supported expansion and renovation efforts to improve accessibility and create a model space for early learning.
  • Yellow Ribbon Fund (2016)
    This organization supports injured service members and their families during medical recovery. Through programs like Crossroads and Keystone, they help keep families together and provide essential housing, transportation, and caregiver support.

After a pause during COVID, the Kensington Car Show returned stronger than ever, continuing its tradition of uniting the community, celebrating car culture, and making a lasting charitable impact each year.

  • Pancreatic Cancer Fund at Johns Hopkins (2023)
    Selected in honor of local firefighter Scott Stone, this effort supports life-saving research and patient care in the fight against pancreatic cancer, while recognizing Scott’s dedication to community service.
  • Jubilee Association of Maryland (2024)
    Jubilee empowers adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities by providing housing, support services, and opportunities for independence, connection, and a high quality of life.

Kensington Volunteer Fire Department (2026)
The history of the began in 1894 when the Town of Kensington was incorporated to address rapid growth and poor infrastructure, including muddy roads, lack of water and sewer systems, no electricity, and no fire protection. After a devastating fire in 1899 destroyed the town hall and newspaper office, residents organized the first fire company under the leadership of Leslie W. Maxson. Early firefighters worked under difficult conditions, using hand-drawn equipment and operating out of small garages and temporary buildings.


In the early 1900s, the department moved several times, including into the basement of an old schoolhouse that later burned down. Tensions grew between volunteer firefighters and town officials over control of equipment and restrictions on responding outside town limits. In 1922, Eugene J.C. Raney and other volunteers broke away from the town-operated department to form the independent Kensington Volunteer Fire Department. Despite limited funding and skepticism from some residents, the new company purchased its own fire engine, raised money through carnivals, and officially incorporated in 1925.


As Montgomery County expanded, the department grew alongside it. The KVFD established multiple stations to serve developing communities including Wheaton, Veirs Mill Village, and Aspen Hill. New firehouses were built throughout the mid-to-late 20th century to meet increasing demands caused by suburban growth and population expansion.


More than a century after its founding, the Kensington Volunteer Fire Department continues serving and protecting surrounding communities, carrying forward a legacy built through dedication, volunteerism, and community support.

NEED MORE INFO? EMAIL US TODAY AT KENSINGTONCARSHOW@GMAIL.COM